In the latest US News & World Report survey released today, Huntington Hospital was ranked as the nation’s 39th best hospital for its diabetes and endocrinology care, while Long Island Jewish (LIJ) Medical Center in New Hyde Park, NY, placed 47th nationwide for its expertise in gynecology.
In addition to their top 50 national rankings, LIJ Medical Center was listed as the eighth-best hospital in New York State and ninth in the New York metropolitan area, while Huntington ranked ninth in New York State and 10th in the New York metropolitan area.
The US News’ “best hospitals” analysis includes multiple clinical specialties, procedures, and conditions. Scores are based on a variety of patient outcome and care-related factors, such as patient safety and nurse staffing. Hospitals that are not nationally ranked in a specialty but have a score that puts them in the top 10 percent of the medical centers analyzed by US News are recognized as “high performing.”
US News rated LIJ as a “high performer” in gastroenterology (GI) and GI surgery, geriatrics, nephrology, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics, psychiatry (behavioral health services are delivered on the LIJ campus at Zucker Hillside Hospital) and urology. In examining hospitals’ clinical performance in treating the most-common adult conditions, LIJ was also regarded as high-performing in aortic aneurysm repair, heart failure, colon cancer surgery, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), hip replacement and lung cancer surgery.
In addition to its survey of adult-care hospitals, US News on June 21 announced its rankings of the nation’s best children’s hospitals. Northwell’s Cohen Children’s Medical Center in New Hyde Park, NY, was ranked among the top 50 children’s hospitals in seven of 10 pediatric specialties: pediatric urology (#13), neonatology (#29), gastroenterology and GI Surgery (#37), neurology & neurosurgery (#39), orthopedics (#40), pulmonology (#40) and cancer (#42).
Below are the clinical areas in which other Northwell Health hospitals were ranked as high performers:
- Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan: cancer care, cardiology and heart surgery, gastroenterology and GI surgery, geriatrics, nephrology, orthopedics and urology.
- North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset: nephrology, neurology, and neurosurgery, heart failure, colon cancer surgery, COPD and lung cancer surgery.
- Northern Westchester Hospital in Mount Kisco: COPD, heart failure, hip replacement and colon cancer surgery.
- Southside Hospital in Bay Shore: heart failure, COPD, hip and knee replacement.
- Staten Island University Hospital: heart failure and COPD
- Glen Cove Hospital: orthopedics and heart failure
- Phelps Memorial Hospital Center in Sleepy Hollow: hip replacement
- LIJ Valley Stream: heart failure
For more information on the US News & World Report’s best hospital rankings, go to http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals