If you’re ready for some post-holiday simplicity, this quick and easy Tofu Stir-Fry is just what the doctor ordered.
Stir-frying is quick, simple and flexible, so it’s a good way to make more healthy meals during the work week. (If you’re shy about trying it, check the American Diabetes Association’s illustrated stir-fry tutorial. It’s very helpful.)
Tofu is a type of soy protein with a nutritional make-up that mirrors animal protein. But soy protein like tofu and seitan offer benefits that animal protein doesn’t. For instance, soy protein contains isoflavones, which offer anti-aging benefits. These compounds also decrease bone loss in the lumbar spine during perimenopause and postmenopause, according to the National Institutes of Health.
There are cardiac benefits, too. A diet that incorporates tofu significantly reduces total cholesterol, triglycerides and LDL (low-density lipoprotein or “bad cholesterol”), says the NIH. Furthermore, 25 grams per day of soy protein (like tofu) can reduce the risk of heart disease, according to the FDA.
Serves 6. Serving Size: 1 cup,
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch chuncks
- ¼ cup, lite sesame ginger salad dressing
- 2 tsp., sesame oil
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups, broccoli florets
- 1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
- 4 scallions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
- ¼ cup, sliced almonds
- 1 cup, low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp., cornstarch
- 1 tbsp., reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp., Asian hot sauce
- 1 tbsp., brown sugar/sucralose blend (like Splenda)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Mix the tofu and sesame ginger salad dressing in a bowl. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Once the tofu if done marinating, remove it from the dressing. Reserve the marinade.
- Add the sesame oil and cooking spray to a wok or large sauté pan over high heat. Add the tofu and stir fry for 7 to 8 minutes, or until tofu is golden brown.
- Add the broccoli and mushrooms, and stir fry for 3 to 4 minutes. Add in the scallions and almonds, and stir fry for an additional 2 minutes.
- In a bowl or cup, whisk together the vegetable broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, hot sauce, brown sugar blend, and garlic. Whisk in the reserved sesame ginger dressing marinade. Pour the mixture over the tofu and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of the American Diabetes Association.