Some women put off their mammogramappointment to avoid breast compression. Still, the procedure’s benefits make it worth some temporary discomfort. For instance:
- Mammograms have helped breast cancermortality rates drop by nearly a third in the US since 1990.
- Of all the years of life saved by mammography, 40 percent are for women in their 40s.
- Most women (about 75 percent) who develop breast cancer don’t have a history of the disease in their family and were not considered high risk before their diagnosis.
- Even for women over 50, skipping a mammogram every other year would miss up to 30 percent of cancers.
- Mammographies utilize very small doses of radiation. The risk of harm from this radiation exposure is extremely low, but the benefits of the scan nearly always outweigh the potential harm. Check with your radiologist about the need for each image.
So the next time you’re procrastinating, remember the long-term benefits of mammograms for yourself and your loved ones, too.
Where you get your mammogram matters. North Shore-LIJ Imaging‘s specialty-trained radiologists are experts in interpreting scans. You’ll find the latest in digital and 3D imaging at our 20-plus locations. Call 1-855-377-3456 to learn more.